Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Choose Something Like A star

It is tough to give up control, isn't it? I want things to go my way, just like everyone else. I want to know what will happen next so I try to plan as much as I can for the future. This, as you know, leads to a considerable amount of discouragement sometimes, right?
My Fluffy and I watched The Pursuit of Happyness last night...such a touching movie! No matter how much he tried to plan, tried to make things happen, it seemed like nothing was turning out right, and things were getting worse and worse...then all of a sudden, after hard work, and dedication, trusting that he was on the right path even though it was hard, everything worked out in the end!
Entering by the narrow gate is difficult...the road less traveled is hard...but it is worth it in the end! You cannot possibly plan everything out and have it all go right...it makes sense to try to learn the road...study each stepping stone, each bend and curve ahead, but at a certain point, you just gotta go for it. You have to let go and have faith that it is the right path, even though it seems too impossible.

My favorite poem of all time is by Robert Frost...you'd think it would be The Road Not Taken, but it's not. It's a good poem, but my favorite is this:

CHOOSE SOMETHING LIKE A STAR
By: Robert Frost

O Star (the fairest one in sight),
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud-
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light.
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to the wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.
Say something to us we can learn
By heart and when alone repeat.
Say something! And it says, 'I burn.'
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit, talk Centigrade.
Use Language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.
It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end
And steadfast as Keats' Eremite,
Not even stooping from its sphere,
It asks a little of us here.
It asks of us a certain height,
So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may choose something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.

This poem reflects my every struggle as a human being...I want to have control, and I want to know and understand the world around me. But sometimes you have to have faith. You have to look beyond yourself. You need to be still and quiet even though the world around you is complete chaos, and seek refuge in your faith...to stay our minds on it and be staid.

No comments: